Sunday, December 03, 2006

Mondegreens

A mondegreen is the mishearing (usually accidental) of a phrase in such a way that it acquires a new meaning.
 
The American writer Sylvia Wright coined it in an essay "The Death of Lady Mondegreen", which was published in Harper's Magazine in Nov. 1954.
She wrote:
 
    When I was a child, my mother used to read aloud to me from Percy's Reliques.  One of my favorite poems began, as I remember:
 
        Ye Highlands and ye Lowlands,
        Oh, where hae ye been?
        They hae slain the Earl Amurray, [sic]
        And Lady Mondegreen.
 
The last line is actually "Laid him on the green."
 
The Archive of Misheard Lyrics has many misheard popular song lyrics at: http://kissthisguy.com/
 
 

1 Comments:

At December 04, 2006 8:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I called it MediCated musings to be self-depreciating. In other words, "crazy ranting." MediTated musings sounds a little too serious (and quiet) for what i wanted to do.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home