Thursday, April 22, 2010

real posting on LinkedIn

 

Question about animal behavior.  

 

I just got a parakeet. It is only one month old. It is consistently and totally quiet, except under one condition. It always chirps when I play Rick James' composition, SUPERFREAK. It does not chirp when I play Vivaldi piccolo concertos. It does not chirp when I play Vivaldi flute concertos. It does not chirp when I play Schubert songs, sung by Anne von Otter. It does not chirp when I play Mozart arias sung by Thomas Quasthoff. It does not chirp when I play Liszt's Faust Symphonie. It does not chirp when I play Beethoven's Diabelli Variations. But the bird always chirps one minute into SUPERFREAK, by Rick James. You will remember SUPERFREAK, it goes, "She's a very kinky girl The kind you don't take home to mother She will never let your spirits down." Can any experts on avian singing behavior provide guidance on this matter?
 

Clarification added 6 days ago:

This is in response to the suggestion that I play recordings of bird sounds. As I mentioned, I tried piccolo music. I do have a recording (compact disc) that contains lessons on how to speak elementary Navajo. I picked up this disc at the gift shop at Mesa Verde National Park last year. Perhaps my bird can learn Navajo, if not English.
 

Clarification added 5 days ago:

Today, the bird chirped for 20 continual seconds to SUPERFREAK. SUPERFREAK is what the bird likes. I am now exposing the bird to Paganini's Violin Concerto No.1.
 

Clarification added 5 days ago:

I now have a recording of bird chirping extensively to SUPERFREAK. I decided to play this recording back to bird, while making a second recording. This time the bird responded with decided vigor, and answered its own chirps with dynamic, loud chirps. The poor lonely thing. He wants a sweetie.
 

Clarification added 10 hours ago:

I have continued to experiment. The bird fails to respond to Dexter Gordon, famed bebop jazz saxophone player. The bird fails to respond to Sonny Stitt, the "god" of bebop saxophone. The bird does not respond to the electronic synthopop of Kraftwerk. The bird does not respond to Bach's cantatas. The bird does not respond to my compilation of surf rock'n'roll from the 1960s. The bird does not respond to 2-piano versions of Brahms Symphonies No. 3 and 4, as recorded by Matthies and Kohn.

But for reasons unknown, the bird consistently responds to Bach's THE ART OF FUGUE, as played by Emerson String Quartet. To repeat, THE ART OF FUGUE is what junior likes.
 

Clarification added 10 hours ago:

This is not a joke. What the bird likes is, Bach's The Art of Fugue, and also Superfreak, but nothing else. (I really cannot comment on this apparent discrepency. My background is in biochemstry, not music and not psychology.)
 

posted 15 hours ago in Biotech

 

 



Hotmail has tools for the New Busy. Search, chat and e-mail from your inbox. Learn more.

The New Busy is not the too busy. Combine all your e-mail accounts with Hotmail. Get busy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home