Friday, February 08, 2008

RE: Gong Hei Fat Choy !


Regarding "Gong Hei Fat Choy"... (which many people think means "Happy New Year")

When the kids were young (Blake was about 8 and Seneca 10), we went down to Chinatown for the first day of Chinese New Year. The kids got a thrill over the dragons dancing in the streets and the firecrackers exploding everywhere.

We stopped into a Chinese restaurant to have lunch. The owner came over to the table, and I said to him, "Happy New Year." He smiled and said, "Thank you."

A moment later, out of the blue, Blake said to him, "Gong Hei Fat Choy!" The owner was startled and surprised for a second, then told us, "Do you know what he said to me? He wished me Prosperity! And since he wished prosperity to me, I give prosperity back to him."

He reached into his pocket and pulled out a small red envelope, which he handed to Blake. When Blake opened it, he found a crisp five dollar bill. Of course, Seneca immediately said "Gong Hei Fat Choy," and was rewarded with her own red envelope.

When the owner left, I asked Blake where he had learned that Chinese phrase. "Did you learn it in school?" I asked. "Nope," replied Blake. "I read it on the menu."


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home