Thursday, September 16, 2010

Stephen Hawking: ten pearls of wisdom

Stephen Hawking on why the universe exists:
"If we find the answer to that, it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason – for then we would know the mind of God."
A Brief History of Time
 
Stephen Hawking on God:
"Because there is a law such as gravity, the Universe can and will create itself from nothing ... It is not necessary to invoke God to light the blue touch paper and set the Universe going."
Hawking: God did not create Universe, The Times
 
Stephen Hawking on the possibility of contact with alien life:
"I think it would be a disaster. The extraterrestrials would probably be far in advance of us. The history of advanced races meeting more primitive people on this planet is not very happy, and they were the same species. I think we should keep our heads low."
Naked Science: Alien Contact, The National Geographic Channel
 
Stephen Hawking on authorship:
"Someone told me that each equation I included in the book would halve the sales. I therefore resolved not to have any equations at all."
A Brief History of Time
 
Stephen Hawking on computer viruses:
"Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive"
Life in the Universe, public lecture
 
Stephen Hawking on euthanasia:
"The victim should have the right to end his life, if he wants. But I think it would be a great mistake. However bad life may seem, there is always something you can do, and succeed at. While there's life, there is hope."
People's Daily Online
 
Stephen Hawking on celebrity:
"The downside of my celebrity is that I cannot go anywhere in the world without being recognised. It is not enough for me to wear dark sunglasses and a wig. The wheelchair gives me away."
Interview on Israeli television
 
Stephen Hawking on cutting corners:
"To show this diagram properly, I would really need a four dimensional screen. However, because of government cuts, we could manage to provide only a two dimensional screen."
The Beginning of Time, public lecture
 
Stephen Hawking on imperfection:
"Without imperfection, you or I would not exist."
Into the Universe with Stephen Hawking, The Discovery Channel
 
Stephen Hawking on Stephen Hawking:
"It is a waste of time to be angry about my disability. One has to get on with life and I haven't done badly. People won't have time for you if you are always angry or complaining."
Return of the time lord, The Guardian

 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/7978898/Stephen-Hawking-ten-pearls-of-wisdom.html

 

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home